Biscuits and Lentil Gravy

One thing that I love and miss about eating meat are biscuits and sausage gravy. That was something that I could eat for every meal of the day and have no regrets. Actually, when the Mister and I were traveling across the country, every hotel we stopped at had biscuits and gravy as one of their complementary breakfast items. I won't lie to you guys, I may or may not have chosen the hotels we stopped at for the night based on their breakfast options.


So, I was really excited when I saw a recipe for this in my copy of Thug Kitchen, a vegan cookbook. I've tried a few recipes from this book and honestly, they've not been that great. There's always something that doesn't work out or I end up feeling like it needs more or different spices from what the recipe calls for. Basically, the recipes end up being a bit bland. However, that didn't deter me from trying this recipe. Of course, the one thing that did not work for me were the vegan biscuits. They were awful. They were so hard and tough. No amount of gravy made them palatable. I would up throwing them out to the birds to eat. Thankfully, the gravy turned out amazing. So, after we choked down the first round, I went out and bought a tube of buttermilk biscuits to use for the leftovers. Once I made the change, these biscuits and gravy were golden.

  • 1 ½ cups of green or brown lentils
  • 5 cups of water
  • salt
  • ½ yellow onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1 cup of vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
  •  1 tube of biscuit dough or one batch of homemade biscuits

  1. Bake biscuits according to package.
  2. Bring the lentils, water, and a little bit of salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Simmer for 40 minutes to cook the lentils until they are falling apart.
  3. In a small skillet, heat up the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion until it starts to brown (3 minutes), add the thyme, garlic, and some black pepper and cook for another 30 seconds. Take off the heat.
  4. When the lentils are cooked, drain the excess water and put the lentils back into the pot.
  5. In a small bowl, mix together the flour and the broth. Add the broth mix into the lentils along with the onion, soy sauce, paprika, and vinegar.
  6. Use an immersion blender or a normal blender to blend the gravy to a smooth consistency.
  7. Heat the gravy up again and simmer in the saucepan to thicken, 2-3 minutes.

No comments: