- 1/2 gallon cold water
- 1 quarts apple cider
- 1 quarts orange juice, low or no pulp.
- 1 cup salt (3 cups Kosher or coarse salt)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 5 whole cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- Pour apple cider and orange juice into a large pot over a medium heat. Add salt, brown sugar, cloves and nutmeg. Simmer for 15 minutes until salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add cold water.
- Place poultry in a large plastic container. Pour brine over top. Brine poultry for 1 hour per pound in the refrigerator.
- Thoroughly rinse all the brine from the turkey before cooking. Otherwise there will be a salty flavor to the turkey.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. apple cider
- chicken bullion (optional)
- In a medium size pan add butter and flour and stir over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth and cider and bring to a boil. If do not think there is enough chicken taste to the gravy add a tsp of chicken bullion into the pan. Depending on how thick or thin you like your gravy you can add more cider or a flour water mixture (1 tbsp to 1 tbsp) and whisk into the pan to thicken the gravy.