Baked Falafel


I was introduced to falafels a couple of years ago by my very good friend. I was a little concerned when she whipped out a box of falafel mix and started frying these green tinted balls. However when I bit into the falafel I fell in love. Ever since then I always order falafels when available at restaurants. These are not hard to make at all and unlike the ones you will find in restaurants these are baked not fried. You can serve them in a pita pocket but I like them as a burrito because I always have tortillas on hand and that is one less thing I have to go out of my way to get. If you do make them in a pita instead of going with a ball shape, flatten them out some so they will easily slide in the pocket with room to spare for the toppings, just keep an eye on them because the timing will be shorter.


  • 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 c. onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. coriander
  • 4 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. oil
Toppings
  • tortilla or pita
  • plain yogurt
  • hummus
  • tomato, chopped
  • cucumber, peeled and chopped
  • lettuce, chopped


  1. Preheat oven to 425
  2. In a food processor or blender add all the ingredients except oil and process until all ingredients are incorporated but mixture is still course and grainy.
  3. Form the mixture into medium sized balls. Brush the balls with oil.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes and then flip for an additional 15-20 minutes until falafels are crisp and brown.
  5. Arrange your falafels with the toppings of your choosing.

1 comment:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I have several falafel recipes that I keep meaning to try. I am quite sure that I will love it when I do.