Let me start out by saying that this Alfredo has absolutely no heavy cream, no half and half and virtually no fat. That's right I said it folks, this is not the heavy weigh you down, make you feel guilty Alfredo that you get in restaurants. However, the taste will fool you and make you feel like you have stepped out of your kitchen and accidentally sat down at an Italian restaurant. I got this recipe from my good friend Kaylie over at Cafe Groenhout . When she posted this a couple of months ago I couldn't believe that there was no cream. I was always led to believe that for Alfredo it has to be the good tasting but bad for you heavy cream which is why I always bought Alfredo sauce from the grocery store because I didn't want to know what was really in it. Not with this sauce though, you can really cut calories with this baby.
Now I used skim milk which cut down even more calories. Instead of getting whole wheat pasta I got this vegetable mix pasta with carrot, tomato and spinach. The vegetable mix was cheaper and well I am a penny pincher so I went with the vegetable mix pasta. This is really easy to make and comes together really fast. If you can find thin chicken breasts you can use that instead of pounding out chicken but it is always nice to get your frustration out after a long day, plus I believe that it's good exercise. I already stocked my refrigerator with zucchini and broccoli for a vegetarian version of this.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp EVOO
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced into half-moons
- 4 thin boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 12 oz. whole wheat fettuccine
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 C cold skim milk
- 1/2 C evaporated nonfat milk
- 3/4 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Heat 1 tbsp EVOO in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 clove garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add the zucchini, cover and cook until tender, stirring, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat another tablespoon oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper and cook through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water as the label directs. Drain, reserving 1/2 C cooking water; return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour and low-fat milk in a bowl. Place the remaining 1 clove garlic and 1 tbsp oil in the skillet and cook over medium-high heat, 30 seconds. Add the flour-milk mixture and bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the evaporated milk, 1/2 tsp salt and the cheese; stir to melt, 1 minute.
- Cut the chicken into strips. Toss with the pasta, sauce, zucchini, adding the reserved pasta water to loosen.
This post is submitted in :
Presto Pasta Nights hosted by The Crispy Cook
Make It From Scratch