Porcupine Meatballs


Ok this may not be the best looking picture in the world but these are really tasty meatballs. My mother-in-law used to make them for my husband when he was a kid. Once we got married he asked me if I would try to make them. The recipe has been in my binder every since. I usually make these with a side salad or some sort of vegetable since there is rice in the meat, I don't want to go carb overload by adding pasta into the mix as well. You can make this with brown rice, ground turkey and you can even omit the Worcestershire sauce if you do not have any. I usually use this with my homemade pasta sauce but canned sauce is fine. This recipe makes enough for roughly four people.

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 2/3 c. rice, uncooked
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1/4 c. finely chopped onion
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • pinch of pepper
  • 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce, about 2 cups
  • 1 c. water
  • 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce


  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Mix ground beed with rice, 1/2 c. water, chopped onions, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
  3. Shape porcupine ground beed mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls.
  4. Place the porcupine meatballs in an ungreased 9 x 9 baking dish.
  5. Mix the tomato sauce, 1 c. water and Worcestershire sauce and pour over the meatballs.
  6. Cover and let bake for 45 minutes.
  7. Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.

No comments: