Very rarely do I find nice looking produce out here. Usually I send the Mr. to scavage through the bell peppers to find one that isn't rotten while I go and see if I can salvage anything else. Maybe we have issues because we go shopping on the weekend or maybe because we live in a not so populated area? Either way I was pretty excited when I found eggplant that wasn't mushy and on it's way to the trash can. I have not had eggplant since moving out here and even though it might not be my favorite vegetable out there, absence makes the heart grow fonder.
I really wanted to find a recipe that made eggplant the star of the show. I found this recipe at All Recipes and added some Parmesan cheese to the mix. The Mr. felt like it needed something more and I thought about next time mixing some Italian dressing into the mayo to give the eggplant a little something special. I liked them just the way they were and between the two of us we polished off the entire thing.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/4" thick rounds
- 4 Tbsp. mayo (or as needed)
- 1/2 c. bread crumbs
- 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Mix the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a shallow dish. Coat each slice of eggplant on both sides with mayonnaise. Press into the bread crumbs to coat. Place coated eggplant slices on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Flip slices over, and cook for an additional 20 to 25 minutes to brown the other side. Sprinkle with salt and serve.
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant, add crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
This post is submitted in
My Meatless Monday
Just Another Meatless Monday