I love take-out food but I don't like the guilty feeling that comes with it. Not to mention that unless you are going to a fancy high class place... chances are the cut of meat that you get is going to be low grade and fatty. Which is why I love to make my favorite take-out dishes at home. Not only can I monitor the ingredients that go in but I can also use the best quality as well.
I saw this recipes over at Christina's blog, It's a Keeper. Now her recipe is for chicken but I had a huge pork tenderloin in the freezer that needed to be used. Obviously, you could make this recipe with any meat and it will work. Now, I didn't realize until I had to make the sauce that I was out of cornstarch. So instead I sprinkled a couple of tablespoons of flour onto the cooked meat, tossed the meat in the pan and let it cook for a minute to cook out some of the flour flavor. Once I added the sauce the flour started to thicken it up.
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 4 c. broccoli florets
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger, divided
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/2-1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, fat trimmed, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 c. fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. coarsely chopped salted peanuts
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and 2 teaspoons ginger to pan, sauté 1 minute. Add water. Cover, cook 2 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Remove broccoli from pan, keep warm.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in pan, add remaining 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed red pepper, and pork. Cook 4 minutes or until pork is lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Combine broth and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl, and stir with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan, cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Return broccoli mixture to pan; toss to coat. Sprinkle with peanuts. Serve with rice.
This post is submitted in
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
The Mommy Club