Three Bean Slow Cooker Chili


We've been experiencing a very wet and cold winter here in SoCal. So, I've been breaking out all my favorite winter recipes lately. One thing I love to make on a cold miserable day is chili. I don't know why those two things go together but they do. It's kind of like being sick and having soup. However, chili takes a lot of time to make, and depending on the style of chili you make, it can also be time consuming to prep. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm a lazy cook. I don't like to spend a ton of time in the kitchen slaving away. Which is why this slow cooker chili is my favorite. It's bursting with flavor, takes minimal time to prep, and the slow cooker does all the cooking for you.


I usually always make my chili in the slow cooker just because chili needs to simmer low and slow for some hours in order to really develop flavor. I don't know about you, but I don't hours to spend stirring a pot of chili making sure it doesn't burn or bubble over. I can put it all in the slow cooker and go to work, run errands, clean the house, read a book, binge watch my favorite shows and not have to worry about dinner. I love it! I used to soak and cook my beans before putting them in the slow cooker but I've recently discovered that you don't have to do that. You just have to rinse the beans to clean them, and then you just pour them in the slow cooker with your ingredients and extra broth to cook them. Making chili has never been easier than this. Now, I don't eat meat so this is for a vegetarian three bean chili. However, if you would like meat, I would brown a pound of ground beef and add it to the rest of the ingredients already listed.


  • 1 large carrot (about 2 cups), peeled and grated
  • 1 large zucchini (about 1 cup), grated
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 2 c. dried kidney beans
  • 1 c. dried black beans
  • 1/2 c. dried garbanzo beans
  • 1.5 c. frozen corn
  • 2 Tbsp. hot sauce
  • 1 packet low-sodium chili seasoning mix
  • 7 c. vegetable broth

  1. Rinse beans and make sure there are no rocks or debris mixed in.
  2. Add all the ingredients into your slow cooker and cook on high for at least 8 hours or until the beans are tender and the flavor has come together. 
  3. Top chili with toppings of choice (shredded cheddar cheese, avocado slices, chopped onion, or corn chips)

No comments: