Vegetarian Taco Soup


Now the the weather is finally cooling down here I have been making more and more fall time dishes. I love making dishes in the slow cooker because of how easy it is. I don't have to keep an eye on it, stir it or fuss over it the entire time that it is in there. So needless to say, when I can make a dish in the slow cooker I usually try to do it.


This is originally a non vegetarian dish with ground beef but I decided that I was going to make dinner meat free that night. I also wanted tortilla chips to go with the soup but did not have any on hand so I made my own chips. You can top this soup with whatever you would normally top your tacos with.
Tortilla Chips
  • 2 tortilla wraps
  • oil for brushing
  • salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
  2. Cut tortilla wraps into 8 triangles. Place on a baking sheet and brush both sides with the oil. Bake until lightly brown, about 5 minutes.
Taco Soup
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 c. dried pinto beans
  • 1 1/2 c. frozen corn
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
  • 2 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes


  1. Soak and cook beans according to package; drain.
  2. Combine all the ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
This post is submitted in
Tasty Tuesday
Show Us What You're Workin' With
Recipe Swap Thursday
Pennywise Platter Thursday

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks so good! I love fall soups, especially when I can pop everything into the slow cooker and then come home from work smelling a heavenly kitchen! Lovely recipe :)

Beth said...

This looks delicious! What a yummy recipe.

Reeni said...

I am loving your crockpot taco soup! Very delicious and super comforting!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Love taco soup! Delicious!

Joanne said...

I love that you went meat-free in this! It's definitely a good thing to do every once in a while and I think the meals come out just as delicious. Love this.

Lisa said...

When the soup is as delicious as this, I don't think anyone would miss the meat, especially not me.

Anonymous said...

A nice warming soup which you just might like to link up to Cooking Fun - Beans. I know, I would be thrilled.

It fits the bill perfectly.

http://comfycook.wordpress.com/2010/11/15/cooking-fun-beans/

elpi said...

so warm. . I can smell them from here! I think I will love these! Making them soon!