Sunshine Cupcakes




When trying to come up with a recipe for cupcakes for Trifecta's birthday/adoption party, I found these from the Red Hat Society Cookbook. My go-to for any cake is always chocolate but I know that that's a huge no-no when dogs are involved and the last thing I wanted was a dog getting their chompers on a chocolate cupcake. So when I found these cupcakes I knew they were perfect


They definitely taste like their name. They were very light and citrus-y in flavor. The whipped cream "frosting" just added to the lightness of the cupcake. I'm pretty sure I ate 3 of them in one sitting, and that didn't count the ones I "taste-tested" before the party. I made the cupcakes a day in advance, made the frosting the morning of (since I had to work that day) and stored it in a air tight container in the refrigerator. Then, before the party started I piped the frosting onto the cupcakes and stored them back in the refrigerator until we were ready for them. I know I used boxed cake mix but I was doing so many other things that I literally followed the recipe without making my own cake mix (which I normally do). But by all means, if you have your own yellow cake mix use that in substitute for the boxed cake mix.



Cake
  • 1 (18 oz) package of yellow cake mix
  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 (11 oz) can mandarin oranges, undrained

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 f. In a large bowl beat the cake mix, oil, eggs, and oranges with an electric mixer for 3 minutes; this will crush the oranges. 
  2. Pour the batter into paper-lined muffin tins. 
  3. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 
  4. Let cool completely before frosting.

Frosting
  • 1 (8 oz) container of lite cool whip 
  • 1 (8 oz) can of crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1 (5 oz) package instant vanilla pudding


  1. Mix the Cool Whip and pineapple in a medium bowl. 
  2. Fold in the pudding mix a little at a time. 
  3. Frost cupcakes and store in the refrigerator.

Trifecta's Gator Party (To get the full list of goodies)

No comments: