Spicy Black Bean Soup



Since I have dicovered the mystery behind the bagged dried beans at my grocery store I have been making beans non stop. I am telling you, if you are still buying canned beans, STOP! Next time you go to the store give those bagged beans a try. You get so much more food for your dollar. Not to mention that you can season the water with whatever you like and give your beans a whole new flavor every time you make them. I have not bought canned beans in months and I have been using the same bagged beans for a couple of months now. I cannot praise the bagged beans enough, they really have saved me a ton of money. With that being said I decided to make a dinner with the ingredients I had in the house instead of running to the store to buy something for dinner. I soaked my beans for about 5 hours and then went to work measuring and tossing in spices as I went. The end result was a spicy hearty soup that I am glad came out good. I am not one for just throwing together a meal without having a background idea of what I am doing but I am glad I did.


  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 qt vegetable stock
  • 2 c. dried black beans
  • 2 c. water
  • 1/2 - 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. coriander
  • 1/4 tsp. celery seed
  • 1/4 c. cor
  • cheddar cheese, grated (optional for garnish)
  • sour cream (optional for garnish)
  1. Soak beans according to package. Rinse and set aside.
  2. In a large pot over medium heat saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients including the beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover. Allow to cook at least 2 hours to allow the beans time to cook.


This post is submitted in
My Meatless Mondays
Tasty Tuesday

1 comment:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I, too, love beans. I've used dried beans and you're right, they are better to flavor and WAY cheaper. I don't know why I still buy the canned. I love black bean soup but I am the only one in the house who does so I don't make it as often as I would love. Yum.