The one thing the Mr. and I do on weekends is breakfast. It is the only time where we are not eating cereal and rushing out the door. I try to change it up every once in a while and make something other than pancakes. The Mr. could eat pancakes everyday and probably not tire of them but I need to have some variety in my life. I have had this mock eggs benedict recipe sitting in my bookmarks folder for a very long time. I finally decided to give it a try and I was pleasantly surprised but this was nothing like eggs benedict. The sauce cannot fool you into thinking otherwise but it is still really good. I decided that since this wasn't really eggs benedict, I would skip the toast and go straight for the home fries, which are my favorite breakfast side dish. I thought that the potatoes went really well with everything and the end result was delicious, regardless that it didn't taste like the greasy spoon version you get at diners.
- 4 red potatoes, chopped into 1" chunks
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter/margarine
- 1 1/4 Tbsp. flour
- 1 c. skim milk
- 1 tsp. spicy brown mustard
- 3 Tbsp. of sauce from a can of chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 c. frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 Tbsp. swiss cheese
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Boil potatoes until just barely fork tender about 10 minutes. Heat a large skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Drain potatoes and transfer to hot skillet. Cook until browned and crispy.
- Poach eggs until yolk is slightly cooked, but still runny.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt butter and add flour, whisking to blend. Add 1/4 milk and whisk to blend., then add the remaining milk, mustard, adobo sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes until bubbling and thickened. Add cheese and spinach. Cook another 3 – 5 minutes to make a nice thick sauce.
- Top potatoes with egg and sauce. Sprinkle with onions.
This post is submitted in
My Meatless Monday's
Just Another Meatless Monday
Make It Yours Day
Let's Do Brunch
Fresh, Clean and Pure Friday