Undone Stuffed Pepper Casserole

I LOVE stuffed peppers but with it being just the Mr. and I, making stuffed peppers is a whole lot of work for just two people. Not to mention that there is no such thing as making just 2 stuffed peppers, the filling you make could stuff a grocery store worth of peppers. So... what does one do when cooking for two? ALAS, I have the solution for you! (okay if you don't know what it is yet, then you clearly haven't been paying attention to the website you're currently on). Instead of stuffing "x" amount of peppers to use up your filling, what about mixing it all together in a pan, throwing it in the oven and forgetting about it until the oven screams "BEEP"? Oh, did I forget to add that it tastes exactly the same as its stuffed pepper cousin? Yup! I don't know about you but I always end up chopping my stuffed pepper up on my plate creating a chaotic mess anyways. So why not skip the extra steps and make a casserole. The leftovers are delicious and if you are cooking for just one, this is a perfect make ahead dish, you can store the leftovers in individual servings in your freezer for dinners down the road.



I got the recipe from Kraft and the only thing that I changed from the recipe below is the spaghetti sauce. I used a big can of crushed tomatoes instead since that was what I always have on hand. Other than that I followed the recipe and it came out delicious.



  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 2 green peppers, coarsely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups cooked long-grain white rice
  • 1 (24 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1-1/2 cups shredded five cheese blend, divided

  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Brown meat with peppers and garlic in large skillet; drain. 
  3. Stir in rice, crushed tomatoes and 3/4 cup cheese.
  4. Spoon into 2-qt. casserole; top with remaining cheese.
  5. Bake 25 min. or until heated through.

This post is submitted in
Real Food Wednesday
These Chicks Cooked

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't make stuffed peppers either because of how much of a pain it is! This is such a great idea i am gonna have to try!

Anonymous said...

we love stuffed peppers, but this a is a great alternative and much faster! thanks for sharing, anne

Kara said...

Every time the husband runs off to play Marines for a few weeks Stuffed Peppers are my go-to. I always end up chopping it up as well... looks like this will be my new no-husband dish! :)

Pam said...

I love, love stuffed peppers and since there are just the two of us, I will be trying this very soon! Thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

That look tasty.

These "deconstructed" dishes always look tasty, and they're usually easier to make than the originals (since they can be casseroles rather than individually prepared units).

Miz Helen said...

We just love stuffed peppers and your recipe looks great! Hope you are having a wonderful day and thanks for sharing!
Miz Helen

Joanne said...

What an AWESOME idea! Somehow everything tastes better in casserole form.

eatme_delicious said...

Often times when I'm making some sort of layered casserole I think to myself, why am I doing this?! It would be way easier to just mix it all together and bake it. So your stuffed pepper casserole sounds like an excellent idea to me. :) Stuffing peppers seems like too much work haha.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I've seen this before and so want to make it! Thanks for the reminder!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I have to make this. I make stuffed pepper once or twice a year and I do like them but this would be so much easier and I would be glad to make this, often.

shaza said...

I wonder how this would work with stuffed cabbage or cabbage rolls?

Unknown said...

You mention in directions to add "spaghetti sauce" to the other ingredients...did you mean "tomatoes" instead? Just wondering if I missed something...THANKS!

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

Sorry. I meant the can of crushed tomatoes. I will fix that.