Pumpkin Polenta with Spinach and Black Beans


I am new to this whole polenta thing. I have only had it once before when I made polenta lasagna and even then it was a prepared polenta in a tube. So when I decided to take on another polenta recipe I was excited to play with the flavors. Now this recipe is actually a mixture of two food network stars recipes. The idea is from Rachael Ray and the polenta recipe is from Giada De Laurentiis. The reason why this recipe stems from two recipes is because Rachael's is made with a quick cooking polenta and after searching the grocery stores out here I had to come up with a recipe from scratch, which is where Giada's recipe came in.


I will be honest that making the polenta from scratch is super simple. Honestly, I don't know if the quick cooking polenta is any easier or faster than from scratch. I also liked making it from scratch because I already had a huge bag of cornmeal in my pantry so I was good to go. So I saved money by making it myself and I really felt accomplished after I made it. I thought with all the fuss of pre cooked polenta and instant polenta out there on the shelves that it would be a ridiculous task to make it from scratch but really it was just stirring in ingredients.
*Make sure that you don't use the self rising cornmeal, you want just plain cornmeal to make polenta with.



Pumpkin Polenta
  • 1 (14 oz) can pumpkin puree
  • 5 c. vegetable stock
  • 1 3/4 c. cornmeal
  • 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter/margarine
  • 1 c. Pecorino Romano

  1. In a large sauce pan bring the vegetable stock and pumpkin puree up to a boil. Gradually whisk in cornmeal. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the polenta thickens and is tender, about 15 minutes, stirring often. Turn off heat and add the butter and cheese and stir until combined.


Spinach Black Bean
  • 2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 (14 oz) can black beans, drained
  • 2 (10 oz) boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

  1. Heat the oil in a medium pan and cook the onion and garlic over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the black beans and spinach and heat through. Season the beans and spinach with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
  2. Top the polenta with the spinach mixture and serve hot.


This post is submitted in
Meatless Monday's
Just Another Meatless Monday
Mouthwatering Monday
Tasty Tuesday
Delicious Dishes

11 comments:

Catherine said...

This sounds so good. I love this meal.It is healthy and satisfying. Blessings, Catherine

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kristin,
Your Pumpkin Polenta looks delicious. Thank you for sharing and you have a nice day!

Miriam said...

This is completely my kind of meal. I love that you've put black beans with it (corn and beans are best frends, I've decided :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Vittoria said...

WOW that is one creative dish!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This looks delicious! I love polenta!
Katie
ps- tomorrow I'm featuring lots of recipes. Hope you can stop in.

Reeni said...

I really love polenta - never had it with pumpkin! It sounds delicious with the beans and spinach. Great flavors.

Mrs V said...

Ive never made polenta... Ive just always bought the icky tube from the grocery store.. I think Im going to try your way, from scratch! Thanks!!

Heather S-G said...

What an awesomely satisfying dish! I love the pumpkin in the polenta...and the savory goodies with it are excellent. Saving!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I'm new to polenta also! I've never made it but I've been tempted! This looks good! Thanks!

Joanne said...

I've made that pumpkin polenta before and it is SO good! Love the topping with black beans and spinach...what a virtuous meal.

Little City Farm said...

Oh wow, I am pinning this and making it next week. Love pumpkin, love polenta,...never thought to combine them. :)