Polenta Lasagna


This was my first polenta experience and I don't think that it will be my last. I used pre-cooked polenta to make this dish but if you make your own or have left overs you could use that instead. I found that this dish was simple to make but not an easy task to plate in one piece. It would fall apart when plating which makes no difference to me for eating but when I am trying to take a nice picture it was quite a pain. However, I thought that the lasagna was delicious. I liked the polenta instead of the noodles, it was a nice change from your typical lasagna. I actually made this for my Earth Day dinner.


  • 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce, divided
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano, dried
  • 1/4 tsp. basil, dried
  • 1 (16-ounce) tube of polenta, cut into 18 slices
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese

  1. Spoon 1/2 cup marinara sauce into an 8-inch square baking dish to cover bottom, and set aside.

  2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms, spinach, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring frequently. Add remaining marinara sauce, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.

  3. Arrange 9 polenta slices over marinara in baking dish, and top evenly with half of vegetable mixture. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese over vegetable mixture; arrange remaining polenta over cheese. Top polenta with the remaining vegetable mixture, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.

  4. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

5 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

This sounds interesting. I don't know much about polenta. I've never heard of a "tube" of polenta. I didn't know it came in slices? Where do you find it?

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

It comes pre-cooked in a plastic casing and is tube shaped. I believe I found it by the rice section but it can also be found in the produce section at your grocery store. You just slice up the tube and into small medallion rounds.

Lasagna recipe said...

I've tried lasagna using polenta before...while my husband and I loved it, my kids are not as crazy as I hoped they'll be. Probably the texture. Anyway, now I had to compromise, if I make polenta lasagna tonight tomorrow we'll be having triple cheese lasagna, lol!

Joanne said...

I have a seriously polenta addiction. Especially when combined with cheese. You just can't go wrong!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I have to try this. My husband can't eat gluten so this would be perfect although we do get gluten free pasta. I think, this would make a nice change.

Thanks for linking this Meatless Mondays.