Vegetarian Split Pea Soup



I was one of those people that decided that they didn't like something before they even tried it. Maybe it was the kid in me but split pea soup screamed VEGETABLES, HEALTHY and just plain gross. A few years ago a friend of mine ordered the soup at a diner and after much talk about how great split pea is I decided to try a spoonful, I ended up eating his soup making him order another bowl for himself. That was when I changed my mind and decided that I did like split pea soup. However convincing my husband was a whole other story. He wanted nothing to do with it but like a sport he sat down at the table and had a bowl. He did say that it was not his favorite but that it was not as bad as he expected. He kept saying that he found the color to be less that appetizing. However, I liked the soup and thought that every time I reheated it for a lunch it got better and better. This is a vegetarian version of the one I had at the diner, there is no ham in it. I cannot say that I got the recipe from anywhere because I literally just winged it and hoped for the best. However, I did get the curry and sour cream idea from Cafe Groenhout and she also gave me the pretty red bowls that the soup is in as a Christmas present. I thought it would be fitting to pair the two together since I snatched a few ideas from her soup. If you do not have ancho chili powder you can always substitute for regular chili powder. I just thought that this added a smokey flavor without being overly spicy. This soup made enough for four with some left overs.


  • 1 lb bag split peas
  • 2 (2 lb) boxes vegetable stock
  • 4 c. water
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp. ancho chili powder
  • 2 Tbsp. red curry paste
  • 1/4 tsp. yellow curry powder
  • 1/4 c. low fat sour cream
  1. Soak split peas according to package.
  2. In a large pot saute onion and garlic until tender. Add vegetable stock, water and split peas and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
  3. Add the curry, thyme and chili powder. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Stir occasionally to ensure than nothing sticks to the bottom for about one hour.
  4. Blend the soup by either using an emulsion bender or transferring the soup to a counter blender. Blend until creamy and smooth and continue to simmer for an additional 45 minutes.
  5. Add sour cream and stir in. Add salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

K. Groenhout said...

Thanks for the shout-out! :) I wonder what changes you could make that hubby would like more ... other than color-changing. Sounds delish!