Happy Earth Day everyone! To celebrate this day I thought that I would add an earthy vegetarian dish. I have never had risotto so I was pretty excited to make this. I ran out and bought all of the ingredients for it, got home and got to work. It was not as complicated and touchy as I thought. I thought you have to slave over it for hours stirring constantly and even then it would stick and burn on the pan but it didn't. However, I did hover over it because I was worried about that happening. I made this as a side dish to beef tenderloin and the two went well together but you can always have this as is with grilled vegetables.
- 4 cups organic vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 can quartered artichoke hearts (about 4 ounces), drained, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Warm vegetable stock over low heat; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil on medium-low; add shallots, onion and garlic. Sweat vegetables until shallots and onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add rice, stir and coat well; cook about 1 minute.
- Add artichokes, sage, white wine, salt and pepper; cook over medium-low heat until wine is absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Start to add stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until rice absorbs all of the liquid (about 15 minutes per cup). Rice should get creamier in texture as stock is added.
- When all stock has been added and absorbed, remove rice from heat and mix in cheese. Serve hot.
I got this recipe from kaboose when I was looking for an Earth Day recipe. I also came across some cute projects that I wanted to share. My favorite is the bookmark it is a really cute gift idea.
Plastic Bag Area Rug
Sticks and Stones Mobile
Save a Tree for Me T-shirt
Canvas Tote Bag