Artichoke Risotto with Garlic and Sage


Happy Earth Day everyone! To celebrate this day I thought that I would add an earthy vegetarian dish. I have never had risotto so I was pretty excited to make this. I ran out and bought all of the ingredients for it, got home and got to work. It was not as complicated and touchy as I thought. I thought you have to slave over it for hours stirring constantly and even then it would stick and burn on the pan but it didn't. However, I did hover over it because I was worried about that happening. I made this as a side dish to beef tenderloin and the two went well together but you can always have this as is with grilled vegetables.


  • 4 cups organic vegetable stock
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup shallots, minced
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced small
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup Arborio rice
  • 1/2 can quartered artichoke hearts (about 4 ounces), drained, rinsed and roughly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Pinch of ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese

  1. Warm vegetable stock over low heat; set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil on medium-low; add shallots, onion and garlic. Sweat vegetables until shallots and onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add rice, stir and coat well; cook about 1 minute.
  3. Add artichokes, sage, white wine, salt and pepper; cook over medium-low heat until wine is absorbed, about 1 minute.
  4. Start to add stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until rice absorbs all of the liquid (about 15 minutes per cup). Rice should get creamier in texture as stock is added.
  5. When all stock has been added and absorbed, remove rice from heat and mix in cheese. Serve hot.





I got this recipe from kaboose when I was looking for an Earth Day recipe. I also came across some cute projects that I wanted to share. My favorite is the bookmark it is a really cute gift idea.

Seeded Bookmarks
Plastic Bag Area Rug
Magazine Holder
Toothbrush Bracelets
Ladybug Rocks
Sticks and Stones Mobile
Save a Tree for Me T-shirt
Canvas Tote Bag



1 comment:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I'm with you, I've never made risotto, I've eaten it and loved it but never made it. This sounds excellent, I love all the ingredients.