I am always trying to find new vegetarian recipes to try. My husband and I are both meat eaters so I am not trying to totally cut out meat from our lives but it is nice to eat a healthier alternative every once in a while. When I saw Kaylie over at Cafe Groenhout make this recipe except with gnocchi I knew I had to give it a try. I could not get my hands on gnocchi so I made it with tortellini instead. I have yet to try the recipe with gnocchi but if it is anything like the tortellini version I made, I am in! Just looking down at the chard and beans on my plate and I felt healthier.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 lb tortellini
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 C water
- 6 C chopped chard leaves (about 1 small bunch), or spinach
- (1) - 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, Italian-style
- (1) - 15 oz. can white beans, rinsed
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 C shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 C Parmesan cheese, grated/shredded
- Cook tortellini according to package.
- In a large skillet add 1 tsp oil and onion to the pan to cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring, until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the tortellini and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.
This post is submitted in
Just Another Meatless Monday
Just Something I Whipped Up
Market Yourself Monday
Presto Pasta Nighthosted by The Taste Space