Don't let the name scare you, this is actually really good. It is a nice change from the every day sushi. I came up with making it when I was trying to figure out what to make the Mr. for that weeks lunch. He says that a turkey sandwich is fine but I would get bored with the same old sandwich every day of the week. So I am always wracking my brain trying to come up with some different kind of lunch I can send him off with for the day. Then it hit me, he likes hot dogs and he kind of likes sushi, so why not combine the two! I mean surely, what is not to love, right? I tried to think of everything that he puts on his hot dogs, pickles or relish, cheese and mustard and ketchup. That is where I back track, ketchup just didn't sound right in this so I stuck to mustard. Some would argue that you are not supposed to put ketchup on hot dogs but I guess you could say that we like to live on the wild side in this house. Go Ketchup!
I tried putting the mustard in the sushi but the flavor drowned out everything else so I opted to put it on top instead. Make sure that when you handle the rice you dip your hands in water otherwise the rice will end up sticking to you. Also, if when you are cutting the sushi and you are having problems with it tearing, dip your knife into water. It will help make for easing clean cuts. You don't have to boil the hot dogs like I did but for some reason it made me feel better cooking the hot dogs even though when he actually got to eat them the next day it would not have made a difference. I might just be me but something about this sushi just screams fun to me. It isn't the usual sophisticated kind with raw fish and caviar. I really wish that I could make this, wrap it up and ship the sushi to my niece for her to take to school for lunch. Personally, I think that I would have been the cool kid in school if I had this sitting in my lunch box.
- 3/4 c. sushi rice
- 1 c. water
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 hot dog
- pepper jack cheese, cut into long strips
- pickle, cut into long strips
- nori sheets
- Bring the water and rice to a soft boil in a medium pan. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 20 minutes or until moisture is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes. Add the vinegar and sugar and mix. Let cool until you can handle the rice.
- While the rice is cooling boil a small pan of water. Cut the hot dog lengthwise, then cut each half again to get 4 strips of hot dog. Add the hot dog to the boiling water and boil for 2 minutes until the hot dog begins to curl. Remove and drain.
- Lay down the nori and pack some of the rice halfway up the nori sheet. Make sure to keep your hands moist to keep the rice from sticking. Lay down a slice of hot dog, cheese and pickle on the rice at the edge of the nori sheet. Roll up tightly starting from the rice end, make sure to tuck the roll under to make sure that the roll is tight enough. Lay the roll seam side down and continue making the other rolls. When you are finished making the rolls cut them with a very sharp knife, start with the first roll you made and work your way to the last. Dot each piece of sushi with mustard and serve.
This post is submitted in
Make It Yours Day
Look What I made