Chickpea & Tomato Curry


I hate it when something so delicious looks the total opposite in pictures. Oh well, what can you do, you'll just have to take my word for it. So even though this may not look very appetizing, just note that it is insanely good! (It's even better the next day when you eat the leftovers.) I saw this recipe on the Betty Crocker website and since I am a curry fan, decided to give it a try. It had great reviews and I love the fact that it could be made in about 30 minutes... because I had about an hour to figure out what I was making for dinner... before dinner time. I am really glad I spotted this recipe because it was really easy to make and very flavorful.




I actually didn't have any problems with this dish but I did omit the cilantro only because I really do not like cilantro. Even though the Mr. gave me a strange look when I added the yogurt on top, it was pretty good.



  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 TBSP. oil
  • 1 TBSP finely chopped ginger root
  • 1 TBSP curry powder
  • 2 cans (15 oz each) chickpeas, drained, rinsed
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz each) Muir Glen® organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/2 c. finely chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
  • Hot cooked rice, if desired
  • Plain yogurt, if desired
    1. In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, ginger root and curry powder in oil about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is tender.
    2. Stir in chickpeas and tomatoes. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro, lemon juice and salt.
    3. Serve over rice; top each serving with yogurt.



    This post is submitted in
    Friday Food
    Meatless Monday
    Mix It Up Monday

    2 comments:

    Mary Bergfeld said...

    This really sounds great. I am new to your blog, so I spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    Diane Balch said...

    I like how simple and healthy your recipe is... please share it with us on my foodie friday linky this week.