Soba Noodles & Seared Salmon in Ginger-Green Onion Broth




Okay I know that I've been on a soup kick lately but I have been cruising through Soup of the Day (Williams-Sonoma): 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year by Kate McMillan and so far I've loved every recipe. Plus it's finally feeling like winter here in the desert. It's been in the 50's and it's pretty gloomy out, so I've been in a soup mood. This recipe was a surprise for both the Mr. and myself. I don't know why but I've always been on the fence with fish. Some days I like, and other days I can't stomach it. So I was nervous for that reason plus the fact that the Mr. does not like ginger. However, the Mr. commented how great the flavors were and I practically licked the bowl. So, I think it's safe to say that we both really enjoyed it. :)


 I love super easy recipes. Everything gets thrown in the pot and at the end you fry your fish and BAM you're done. There is no crazy prep work or cleanup needed for this. I suppose you could always slice the onions and mince the ginger ahead of time if you wanted to but as I was bring the liquids up to a boil I was chopping and dropping the ginger and onion in the pot. There isn't anything that I would change from this recipe because the soup was delicious.

 Serves 4
  • 4 green onions 
  • 4 c. chicken broth 
  • 2 in. piece of ginger, peeled and minced 
  • 1 star anise 
  • 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce 
  • 1 tsp. mirin 
  • a few drops of sesame oil 
  • 6 oz soba noodles, broken in half 
  • 3/4 lb center cut salmon, cut into 4 equal pieces, skin and bones removed 
  • 2 Tbsp. oil salt and pepper 

  1. Thinly slice the green onions, reserving the white and pale green parts in one bowl and the dark green parts in a separate bowl. 
  2. In a large, heavy pot, combine the broth, ginger, the white and pale green slices of onion, star anise, soy sauce, mirin and sesame oil over med-high heat. Bring the broth to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off, cover the pan, and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain the soup, discard the solids and return the broth to the pot. Bring the broth to a boil. Add the noodles and cook, stirring once or twice, for 4 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, place a small frying pat over high heat until it is very hot. Brush the salmon with oil and season with salt and pepper. Sear the salmon to med-rare, 4-5 minutes per side. 
  4. To serve, use tongs to divide the soba noodles among 4 shallow bowls. Ladle the hot broth into each bowl and top with a piece of salmon. Garnish with the sliced dark green onions and serve


This post is submitted in 

No comments: