I've gone my entire life without knowing the joy of chicken and waffles. I've seen it on menus and every time I thought... "nope, that's just too weird". Well, I'm happy to announce that I've finally popped my chicken and waffle cherry and have become obsessed with the duo. It all started when the Mr. came home one day and told me how he ordered chicken and waffles for lunch. I immediately started grilling him about it. Was it gross? How'd you eat it? Do you pour syrup over it like normal waffles or do they serve it with a special sauce? Once he reassured me that it was actually good and not in fact as bizarre a pairing as I originally thought, I decided to make them for myself with the Mr's guidance. Since I had no clue what to do.
Now let me take a moment to thank my mother for the waffle iron. Without her, my chicken and waffle epiphany would not have happened. Our waffle iron didn't survive the latest move and I've been waffle-less for about 2 years now. So thank you mom for the amazing gift of being able to make waffles once again.
Baked Chicken Strips
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast; cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 c. flour
- 1 eggs
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 c. breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Season the chicken strips with salt and pepper. In a shallow dish season the flour with salt and black pepper. Beat the egg in another shallow dish with the milk. Place the breadcrumbs in a thirst shallow dish.
- Dredge the chicken strips in the flour to coat, shaking off any excess flour. Dip the floured chicken tenders into the egg and finally, coat the chicken tenders with the breadcrumbs.
- Place the breaded chicken tenders onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- 1 c. AP flour
- 1 c. cornmeal (not cornbread mix)
- 1 TBSP. honey
- 1 TBSP. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 c. milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBSP. vegetable oil
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk and oil. Whisk milk mixture into dry ingredients just until dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened. Preheat waffle. Pour 1 cup of batter onto the center of the bottom grid. Close top and bake until brown, about 4 minutes.
Assemble the chicken and waffles
- When the chicken and waffles are cooked place chicken strips on top of the waffles and serve with small bowls or melted butter, hot sauce and maple syrup for dipping.