Ever get jalapeno poppers when at a restaurant? Imagine that in a sandwich form. Yup, this sandwich has become my new favorite. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and quickly looked at the recipe. I was really excited when I saw that the ingredients were simple basic things that I already had in my pantry. It also allowed me to test out the coconut oil that I just got.
The Mr and I like two very different levels of heat. So I removed pretty much all of the insides of my jalapeno but left his fully intact. This was by far the best grilled cheese sandwich I've ever had. I'm not a huge fan of grilled cheese. Don't ask me why but I'm just not. But I am a fan of jalapeno poppers and I think that this is even better than a jalapeno popper. You had the spice, the creaminess, the gooeyness and amazing flavor all across the board. I'm not even going to lie to you, the next day I made another one for lunch. Just because it was delicious... and I could.
2 slices of bread
2 green onions; chopped
1 japaleno pepper; diced
2 Tbsp fat free cream cheese
1 slice colby jack cheese
coconut oil cooking spray
- In a small bowl combine green onion, jalapeno and cream cheese. Blend until combined.
- Heat a pan on medium heat until hot.
- Spray both sides of each slice of bread with coconut oil cooking spray. (or do what I did and very lightly spread coconut oil onto bread)
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly onto each slice of bread. Add a slice of cheese on the cream cheese.
- Combine both sides of bread to make a sandwich and place into pan. Cook evenly on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side or until sliced cheese becomes melted.