Chicken Pot Pie


I don't know about the rest of you guys but we went through one cold spell here in the desert and that had me pulling out all my winter recipes. I grew up on frozen chicken pot pies. So to me, winter is not complete without one. I went out and bought whole chicken to roast in the oven in hopes to take the chill out of the house. Then the next day I took the leftover chicken and used it in the pot pie for another oven warming meal.


Because I used leftover chicken, I got to skip the whole cooking the chicken part. Which, when it's so cold I don't want to come out from under the warm throw blankets on the couch, is a total bonus for me. Plus, I like to be lazy and cut corners when I can. Who doesn't?


recipe adapted from Allrecipes

2 (9 inch) pie crusts
4 chicken breast (about 2 cups), boneless, skinless
1/2 c. onion, chopped
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
2 c. frozen mixed vegetables
1 c. mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper to taste

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour a 2 quart casserole dish.
  2. Place chicken breasts, onion, and poultry seasoning in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Simmer over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Drain and dice chicken.
  3. In a large bowl, combine chicken, onions, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, Cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, mixed vegetables, mushrooms, and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
  4. Lay one sheet of pastry in bottom of greased and floured pan. Pour chicken mixture over pastry. Cover with second sheet of pastry. Seal edges of top and bottom pastries. Cut steam vents in top.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, until pastry is golden brown.

 

2 comments:

Pam said...

We have been in a bitter cold spell for what seems like forever, it's 2 degrees now. This pot pie would be perfect for now! And, yes, I like to cut corners also. Thanks for the recipe!

Kara said...

This looks amazing, too! Always looking for a good pot pie recipe! Okay, I'll stop commenting now. ;)