Review: Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches by Kris Holechek Peters

I was given a copy of Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches by Kris Holechek Peters to review a while back. I was excited by the idea of a dairy-free ice cream sandwich since I'm mildly allergic to milk. I will admit that I'm not a huge ice cream fan. The Mr. can eat a tub of it in two sittings but my carton will sit in the freezer until it develops ice crystals. However, when you slap it between cookies, I'm in it to win it. So I was excited to give this book a shot.

First I made the Strawberry Italiano sandwiches which were a strawberry balsamic swirl ice cream sandwiched between to shortbread cookies. I didn't think the swirl would turn out because anytime I have to "swirl" something in, I always tend to over swirl it and end up just mixing it in. However, I'm happy to say that my swirl was perfect. Ha! The shortbread cookies don't have a lot of flavor so the ice cream is definitely the star in this one. I wasn't sure how the balsamic was going to play out in this, but you don't taste it at all.



The second ice cream sandwich I made was the Pumpkin Snickerdoodle sandwiches which are pumpkin ice cream sandwiched between two snickerdoodle cookies. Oh yeah, these are my favorite ice cream sandwiches ever. When you pair the pumpkin ice cream with the sugary cinnamon cookies, you get one amazing treat. I'm not gonna lie, it took all my willpower not to dip a cookie into the churning ice cream while it was freezing. Then, when the moment came where I could actually eat one... I ate two. And I've had one just about every night since. These are amazing and perfect for the fall.


This is a great recipe book to have on hand if you have an ice cream machine. Whether you are vegan or not, it doesn't matter, it's awesome. There are your basic ice cream sandwich combinations but then there are crazy ones like cardamom cookies and pistachio ice cream, orange zest cookies with earl grey tea ice cream, rhubarb cookies with sweet corn ice cream, and that's just to name a few. You have savory ice cream sandwiches, sweet ones, even ones designed for the season/holiday. I'd buy the book just for the pumpkin snickerdoodle sandwich recipe alone. Heck, I plan on making another batch of these babies this coming weekend because they are THAT GOOD. The next recipe I plan on making after I've had my fill of the pumpkin snickerdoodle ones is going to be the cranberry ice cream with gingersnap cookies. But if I'm being honest here, I have a feeling I will be making every single one of the recipes. Even the crazy ones.

*Oh and the best part about these recipes are that you can eat the cookie dough batter while you're waiting for the first batch of cookies to bake. I mean, it's not like I ate half a batch of the snickerdoodle dough or anything. I just... heard that you could is all.

No comments: