Maca Truffles


Every year around this time I start pulling out recipes for cookies. Even though it's just the Mr. and me, I will still try to make at least a batch of cookies, gingerbread marshmallows, and fudge. I always try to make a different cookie each year and this year I decided to try something a little different. Instead of making a butter and sugar packed cookie, I went with a healthy energy truffle instead. This was my first time trying maca and I wasn't overly sure what to expect. Maca is a root (like radish) that has a lot of health benefits ranging from balancing your mood, providing energy, and even relieves PMS and menopause symptoms. I tasted the maca straight from the bag before making the truffles and it's not sweet. It actually reminds me of powdered peanut butter.






This is a super easy truffle recipe. You literally just mix everything, either by hand or in a food processor. These are not sweet truffles, they are actually kind of dry, so make sure you have a glass of milk, but they are delicious. I found that when I needed a snack halfway through the day, I would eat one of these and I'd be good until dinner time. They definitely help give you that little boost you need. Plus, they look like some fancy truffle you'd get at a shop. So if you want to make something for your health conscious friend, or want to try something a little healthy this year for your holiday treat, give these a try.

Recipe adapted from Mary Vance, NC



  • 1/2 c. cocoa powder
  • 1/2 c. raw maca powder
  • 1 c. nut butter (almond, walnut, peanut, or coconut)
  • 1 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil
  • 1-2 Tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • dash of vanilla
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • cocoa powder for dusting



  1. In a large bowl blend the nut butter, honey and vanilla. 
  2. In another bowl mix cocoa powder, maca powder, cinnamon, salt and cayenne pepper.  Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until combined. Taste to make sure the flavors are good. (I wound up adding a little more cayenne for more of a kick)
  3. Roll about a tablespoon of mixture into a ball. Dust with cocoa powder and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.



1 comment:

Joanne said...

I love that these have a touch of indulgence but also a whole lot of health!