Green Pea and Garbanzo Bean Dip


I don't know about you, but The Mister and I love chips and dip. We eat it just about every weekend. I use to only make it when we'd go to a party. I'd always make a different dip every time and it sort of turned into a, "What will she make next" game with our friends. I saw a post from Thug Kitchen a while back about their green pea and garbanzo dip and I knew I had to try it. It was weird and wacky enough that it would be unlike anything we'd ever had before but it still had components that we love to eat. We also had everything on hand which is always a huge plus in my book. I don't know about you but I hate running to the store for last minute things.


Let me just say that this dip is delicious. I'm not going to fool you and say that it was love at first bite because it wasn't. I mean c'mon, it's green, lumpy, and made with peas. This is not your typical heavy, cheese laden dip. In fact, it's vegan! There's no dairy in this what-so-ever. So, instead of your typical party dip, this is light and refreshing. It took us a few minutes to figure out which chips worked with the dip. Tortillas were out of the question. There was just something about them that didn't work. They were too thin and didn't have enough bite to them. So, I rummaged around in the pantry and found a bag of bagel chips that were sitting unopened in the back. I mean, it's kind of hard to find things that go with bagel chips. Lo and behold bagel chips are perfect for this dip. Once we figured out the missing piece, the dip was gone in a couple of hours. My family had a field day with our late night snack. We were playing Scattergories via Skype with them and they not only questioned the bowl of green goop but made fun of how loud our crunching was because of the bagel chips. In all honestly, I think they were just jealous. ;)

recipe adapted from Thug Kitchen


  • 2 cups frozen green peas; thawed
  • 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans 
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh basil 
  • ¼ cup chopped green onions 
  •  2 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice 
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil 
  • 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar 
  • ¼ tsp salt 

  1. Throw everything in a food processor or blender blend until smooth. Taste the dip and add more seasonings or lemon juice if needed. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
*This is best served at room temperature.

No comments: