Did I mention that this was super easy to make? I made this within half an hour, transferred it to my slow-cooker, put it on the keep warm setting, and it was waiting for The Mister and I after our softball game. Plus, the leftovers are just as good when they are heated up. I'm pretty sure I devoured the leftovers in record timing. If you want something that's super healthy, hearty, and screams fall... than you have got to try this recipe.
recipe adapted from ifoodreal
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions and set aside.
- In the meanwhile, preheat large deep skillet on low - medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and garlic, saute until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add pumpkin puree, vegetable stock, pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes uncovered.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese until melted. Remove from heat and add quinoa and spinach. Stir gently to combine. Adjust thickness with extra chicken stock if desired. I like my quinoa saucy and hot. Because of Parmesan cheese, liquid separation with time is normal. Just give it a good stir. Serve hot.