Think grilled cheese meets the burger and you have this recipe. I saw this recipe on Debbie Does Dinner Healthy & Low Calorie with the cheese oozing all around the meat and thought... "now that's my kind of burger". My husband, Patrick, is always trying to stuff the cheese inside the burgers and half of the time the cheese melts out and ends up flavoring the grill instead, so when I saw this I had to give it a try. Then I realized it was May's burger for Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice's Burger Club and figured if I am going to make it, I might as well participate.
Now I found that one pound of meat for 6 was stretching it, I usually do 4 servings to a pound unless I have those tiny rolls. I subbed the American cheese for cheddar but I am sure whatever your cheese preference is it would taste good. I liked the flavor and it was a nice burger all around but it is what it is, a patty melt. There was nothing special to set it over the top but it was a nice variation to your everyday burger. Would I make it again, sure... would I rave about it, probably not. So to that I give this burger ★★★ out of 4
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 med onion, half grated and half sliced
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 slices of cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. soft margarine/butter
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef, egg, grated onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Form into thin patties. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers about 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Drain the grease from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, place six slices of bread, butter side down. Top each with a slice of cheese, some onions and a burger. Top with remaining slices of cheese, if using, and bread, butter side up.