I don't think it matters how sick I am, if you wave dessert in my face I will eat it. That is what happened this past weekend. I was starting to get a cold and had a scratchy throat. I had been drinking so much tea that day that I didn't want to drink another cup. For some reason I thought "wouldn't a honey lemon bar be really good and help my throat?" We all know to add lemon and honey into our tea when we are sick so why not make a dessert out of it? So we went to the grocery store to pick up the things that we needed since the only thing we had was honey and lemon. We got home and got to work making my "sick bars". The trick to cutting into these is to let them cool completely but I was sick and impatient so I tore right into it. Not only were these really good but they did the trick and coated my throat. I stopped coughing for maybe 30 minutes to an hour. Which made me really happy that I could finally put down the cough drops for a little bit.
- 1 (18.25 oz) box of lemon cake mix
- 1 (3.4oz) box of instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 (8oz) package of 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 egg
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 c. applesauce
- 4 Tbsp honey (drizzle on top)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Pour cake mix and dry pudding mix into large bowl. Add egg and applesauce, mix until blended. The mixture will be slightly dry. Reserve 1 c. of mix for topping. Spread the rest into an ungreased 9x13 pan.
- Bake 15 minutes, set aside to cool. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl beat cream cheese, honey and lemon juice until smooth. Pour mixture over baked crust evenly. Crumble reserved cake mix on top. Sprinkle the lemon zest over the top.
- Bake for 1o minutes, then drizzle the 4 Tbsp of honey over the top and place back in the over for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool completely and store the leftovers in the refrigerator.
This post is submitted in:
Just Something I Whipped Up
Temp My Tummy Tuesday