Black Bean Burger


My love for bean burgers all started out with Guy Fierei's Veggie Patty. I was never one for the veggie burgers and stayed away from anything that wasn't made with meat. So it was a shock to me when I made my first bean burger and fell in love.


I came across this recipe in my Perfect Vegetarian: A Collection of Over 100 Essential Recipes book. I absolutely love this book and have made quite a few recipes from it. This recipe has a lot less ingredients and steps than my other patty but it still tastes good. I did find that the burger fell apart quite easily but other than that had no problems with it at all.


  • 1 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp. ground corriander
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 c. mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 1 (15 oz can) black beans
  • 4 slices pepperjack cheese
  • salt and pepper

  1. Heat oil in a non stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, mushroom, coriander and cumin and cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a bowl.
  2. Put the beans in a small bowl and mash with a fork. Stir into the mushroom mixture and season with salt and pepper.
  3. Preheat the broiler to medium high. divide the mixture into 4 portions and shape into flat round patties. Brush with oil and cook under the broiler for 4-5 minutes on each side. Place slice of cheese on each patty, serve on hamburger bun.

This post is submitted in
Marvelously Messy Monday

7 comments:

Sara @ Saucy Dipper said...

Look at the cheesy goodness. I usually put avocados and mustard (am I weird?) on my black bean burgers, but this looks worth the try.

Oh, and by the way, your caramel Bailey-tini sounds AMAZING. Is it happy hour yet?

Unknown said...

Ooo, I know someone who would LOVE this recipe. Not me, though....I can't stand bean texture. :-) I would love it if you would link up to my Marvelous Mess party!! I will pick one project to feature on my sidebar for a week!! http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com/2011/03/marvelous-mess-5.html

Kari said...

I am extremely excited about this recipe! Will be trying it SOON!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I love bean burgers but haven't been able to make one that is super good yet. I'll have to try this out! Thanks!

Valery (CEO Wanna Be) said...

Hi stopping by from Friday blog hop
That looks good.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisanThatBoutique
http://thisnthatboutiqueblog.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Thisnthatboutiquefans

Silver Daisies said...

Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog!
I'm a vegetarian and this looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe!
-Newest follower!
www.lillianpearl.blogspot.com

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

You had to be eavesdropping on my lunch with hubby. We were talking about black bean burgers which he does not want me to try. I have an excuse to make them now. Your recipe looks good enough to appeal to him. I just won't mention it is made of black beans. I think, it sounds fantastic.

Would you link it up to My Meatless Mondays which I am putting up, this evening?