My love for bean burgers all started out with Guy Fierei's Veggie Patty. I was never one for the veggie burgers and stayed away from anything that wasn't made with meat. So it was a shock to me when I made my first bean burger and fell in love.
I came across this recipe in my Perfect Vegetarian: A Collection of Over 100 Essential Recipes book. I absolutely love this book and have made quite a few recipes from it. This recipe has a lot less ingredients and steps than my other patty but it still tastes good. I did find that the burger fell apart quite easily but other than that had no problems with it at all.
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ground corriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 c. mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 (15 oz can) black beans
- 4 slices pepperjack cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a non stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, mushroom, coriander and cumin and cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a bowl.
- Put the beans in a small bowl and mash with a fork. Stir into the mushroom mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the broiler to medium high. divide the mixture into 4 portions and shape into flat round patties. Brush with oil and cook under the broiler for 4-5 minutes on each side. Place slice of cheese on each patty, serve on hamburger bun.
This post is submitted in
Marvelously Messy Monday