Vegetable Stock


I cook a lot with vegetable broth. Usually I used a concentrated buillon but for the past 4 months the stores out here haven't been carrying it. So I finally got fed up and made my own canned vegetable stock. I cannot believe how easy it is to make your own. Now that I know, I will never go back. I did this all by myself with no help at all from the Mr. So if I can do it without making a huge mess, than you can too. I saved all the strained out goodness and plan on adding it back into the stock when I make a soup. Why waste food, right? I think the next time I make this I will let mine sit on the stove a little longer to get a deeper flavor.

  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 Tbsp. salt (I used less in mine)
  • 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 med. onions, chopped
  • 3 carrots, chopped
  • 3 celery stalks, chopped
  • 5 springs parsley
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp. peppercorns
  • 5 qt. water

  1. Melt butter over medium heat. Add ingredients except the water; cover and cook 10 minutes. Add water; boil for 45 minutes. Strain with wire strainer lined with cheesecloth and store in air tight container.


This post is submitted in
Just Another Meatless Monday

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks wonderful, i have a similar recipe and I freeze all my "just about too old" vegetables then wiat until I have enough and make it, I'm just about out of my stock pile!

Sara @ Saucy Dipper said...

I've taken a stab at vegetable stock a few times. You really can make it so many different ways. Stock is just great to have around.