Review: Kettle Brand 30th Birthday Limited Batch Flavors

If you follow me on Facebook, then you probably saw the post that I was one of 5,000 people who won the chance to get a sneak peak at Kettle Brand's Limited Batch potato chips in celebration of their 30th birthday. They brought back 4 flavors that they had previously been retired and after tasting them... I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why they retired them in the first place. They could out trump the classics, in my personal opinion.

*Now I supposed I must put a disclaimer.... we love Kettle Brand chips. They are crunchy, not overly oily and always have great flavor. This is pretty much the only brand of chips we buy. So my review will be based off of the flavors.



Beer Cheddar- After debuting as a fan pick during the brand’s first People’s Choice vote in 2005, this flavor earned a cult following. A combination of tangy sharp cheese with malty beer notes forms a perfect balance of smooth and salty flavors.




My thoughts: Sorry there is no photo. The Mr. ripped open the bag and scarfed them down before I could get a picture. However, I did try a few chips and I must say that I'm not a fan of this flavor. I don't like the smell or taste of beer and this definitely have a creamy beer finish to it.  However, to those who like beer, you'd probably enjoy this chip.





 Red chili- Introduced in 1982, this flavor mirrors the taste of sriracha sauce combined with a vinegar tang and Cayenne pepper for a searing red chili heat. While it may have launched ahead of its time, this chip is making an on-trend comeback with the flavors and foods of today.


 My thoughts: This was really good. There was a pepper taste to it but not a lot of heat. The heat index was very mild.






Jalapeno Jack- Originally debuted in 1989, this flavor not only has a visual resemblance to a slice of Pepper Jack cheese, but has the same creamy, salty Jack cheese base mixed with the spice of red and green peppers and a strong jalapeƱo flavor.



My thoughts: My favorite of the bunch. It had a kick at the end with a light dusting of cheese on them. This was the bag that the Mr. knew not to touch.





Salsa- First launched in 1999, vocal fans have long mourned this favorite’s absence. Tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and garlic blend with the bright flavor of lime to create an unmatched combination that’s sweet, smoky and salty.



My thoughts: This is a great chip for everyone. You can taste all of the seasonings like onion, tomato and peppers. It definitely has a salsa taste to it and doesn't have any heat to it at all.



These flavors are only available for a limited time, and similar to a Disney movie, once their time is up, they will be off shelves and you will be unable to buy a bag. Hopefully the good folks at Kettle Brand decide to bring these flavors back more often because now that I've had a taste... I will never be able to look at my once favorite BBQ chips the same.

Can't find Kettle Brand potato chips in your area? You can always go to their website and order them!


Discription of the flavors came from Reuters

No comments: