Black Bean Avocado Brownies


No I have not lost my mind. Let me explain. It was all Pinterest's fault! But to be honest, it's all thanks to Pinterest that I came across this recipe from Monique's blog, Ambitious Kitchen. Monique is a kitchen Goddess for coming up with these brownies. Brownies are my #1 weakness. They're right up there with puppies and kittens. There is nothing that will tempt me more than a batch of brownies. And when I say tempt, what I actually mean is sneak into the kitchen in the middle of the night to scarf down the rest of the brownies, so that in the morning I have to make another batch just so that the Mr. doesn't know that I ate them all in the middle of the night. Oh yes, brownies are definitely my weakness. So that's why when I saw a recipe that had no flour or butter, I was hopping aboard the black bean avocado brownie train or the BBABT for you abbreviation lovers out there.


Before you ask, no you do not taste the beans or the avocado and no I am not lying to you. What you get is a very moist (even 3 days later) chocolatey brownie with zero guilt. I brought some into work for my co-worker to try and she loved them. Just like the Mr. and me, she was surprised that they taste just like your average brownie. I of course used dark chocolate cocoa powder and dark chocolate chunks but that's because it's my personal preference. These are now my new fake out dish. I used to love bringing cheesecake to parties because people think it's so decadent and difficult to make but now, I think it's time for the BBABT to come through and make some appearances.


  • 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 egg plus 2 egg whites
  • 1/3 of a large ripe avocado
  • 1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
  • 1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute of choice
  • 3 tablespoons chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8×8 inch baking pan.
  2. Place all ingredients besides chocolate chips into blender or food processor. Process or puree until ingredients form a smooth batter. Pour into prepared pan, sprinkle with chocolate chips, nuts, or swirl in peanut butter and bake for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out somewhat clean and top of the brownies begin to crack.
  3. Cool pan completely on wire rack then cut into 16 squares.

This post is submitted in 
My Meatless Mondays
Gluten-Free Wednesdays

2 comments:

Linda said...

I love the idea of using avocado in these! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe at Gluten-Free Wednesdays. I'll be highlighting it this week.

ebwf_821319 said...

I don't have a huge sweet tooth, but I have missed brownies since going GF. I made these a few days ago and they were AWESOME. I made sure my wife tried them before I told her what the ingredients were (black beans and avocados are on her black list), but both of us as well as a non-GF friend loved them. I did use a half of an avocado rather than a third because it was easier to measure, and butter instead of oil.