Quick & Easy Pierogi Skillet


 (made with ground beef)

I don't know about you but I LOVE pierogies. I eat them boiled, fried, or mixed into dishes. There's just something about a dumpling filled with creamy mashed potatoes, onions and cheese that makes me drool every time I think about them. Yup, pierogies are definitely a staple in this house.

(made with veggie crumbles)
 
One of my all time favorite go-to recipes for pierogies is this skillet recipe. I've made it both with beef (before I gave up meat) and with the MorningStar Farms veggie crumbles that I found in the frozen vegetarian section at my grocery store. Both versions are delicious. The fact that you have your protein, starch, vegetables and dairy all in one sitting is pretty nice. There is no need to make side dishes with this one.

(made with veggie crumbles)



Adapted from Taste of Home


  • 1 lb ground turkey, beef, or veggie crumbles
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion 
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 1 can (14 1/2 oz ounces) beef broth or veggie broth
  • 1 package (16 oz) frozen cheese and potato pierogies, thawed 
  • 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper 
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning 
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese


    1. In a large skillet, cook meat and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings.  If using veggie crumbles, cook onion and veggie crumbles until the crumbles are thawed and the onion is translucent.
    2. Sprinkle flour over onion mixture; stir until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. 
    3. Stir in the pierogies, vegetables and seasonings. Cook, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese.

    2 comments:

    Joanne said...

    I love how this is total comfort food AND uses up freezer items. Win.

    Kara said...

    I totally have these ingredients in my freezer! Yes, one more day I can put off the grocery store trip. :)

    (Can you tell I am catching up on your blog after months of not logging into Blogger? haha. :))