Curried Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash


One of my favorite things about fall is all the squash recipes I can make. I'm a big fan of butternut squash and pumpkin, but I love acorn squash. It's perfect because you don't really have to do anything to it. You cut it in half, rub some oil on it, and bake it in the oven until it's soft. I've had it baked with brown sugar and butter for a sweet treat, and I've had it a couple different savory ways like this. I think the whole bowl aspect is my favorite because it's just so darn awesome looking. This is by far my favorite acorn squash bowl because it mixes two of my favorite things, curried quinoa and the squash. It also reminds me of the spiced quinoa that I make just about once a month in the cooler months. So, I suppose, this is kind of a more spruced up version of that.

While this isn't a quick meal, it is super easy to make. The most time consuming part is waiting for the squash to roast. Now, I've read recipes that say you can microwave your squash to cook it, I have never done that. Not only do I find that the cooking of things in the microwave are inconsistent and some areas get cooked more than others, but things tend to get a bit gummy and chewy after they've been nuked. So, I prefer the traditional method of roasting them in the oven. It's not so bad though because while the squash is roasting, you can work on the quinoa, clean up the kitchen, and kick your feet up for a bit before you have to start assembling them. I suppose you could always roast the squash ahead of time and then on the day of, make the quinoa and assemble the dish. That would cut down your time by 40 minutes. Although, I would pop the squash in the oven for the time the quinoa is cooking, otherwise the squash will be cold, and trust me, you want the squash to be hot for this dish. ;)


Recipe adapted from Well Floured

  • 2 acorn squash, medium size, cut in half, seeds and pulp removed
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped apple
  • 1 cup of quinoa, I used rainbow
  • 1 Tbsp curry powder
  • 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock, water or chicken stock could also be used
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese or feta 

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 425°f
  2. Rub the inside of the squash with 1 Tbsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper
  3. Roast cut side up for 1 hour
  4. While the squash is roasting, heat the remaining olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat
  5. Add the onion and apple, and cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes
  6. Stir in quinoa, and cook until toasted, about 5 minutes
  7. Stir in the curry and the stock
  8. Cover,bring to a boil, and reduce the heat
  9.  Simmer until the liquid has been absorbed,about 15 minutes
  10. Remove from the heat and let site for 5 minutes
  11. Fluff with a fork, and divide the quinoa among the 4 squash halves
  12. Top with the cheese, if desired
  13. Serve immediately

No comments: