Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomato Orzo

I made this a few weeks ago when my parents were in town visiting. I wanted to make something slightly different from their everyday meal but close enough that it wouldn't scare them away. I saw the recipe on Cafe Groenhout's blog and knew that this was the perfect recipe to try. It is practically chicken and rice which is a huge staple in their house but it isn't just your plain old baked chicken with rice. I also made the craisin-walnut salad to go along with this dish. I planned on taking pictures but it was gone before I knew it.

I had to change it up some since I couldn't find sun dried tomatoes that were not packed in oil. If you have the same problem as me, just buy the oil packed and put your sun dried tomatoes between paper towels to help soak up some of the oil. I also didn't have fresh marjoram on hand but I had the dried stuff. So I used 2 teaspoons of dried marjoram for the sauce. The next time that I make this I will make double the sauce, it didn't seem like quite enough to me but my husband and mother liked it as is.


  • 8 oz. orzo
  • 1 C water
  • 1/2 C chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), divided
  • 1 plum tomato, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled
  • 3 tsp chopped fresh marjoram, divided
  • 1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp plus 1 tbsp EVOO, divided
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 C finely shredded Romano cheese, divided

  1. Cook orzo in a large saucepan of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
  2. Meanwhile, place water, 1/4 C sun-dried tomatoes, plum tomato, garlic, 2 tsp marjoram, vinegar and 2 tsp oil in a blender. Blend until just a few chunks remain.
  3. Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning, until golden outside and no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; tent with foil to keep warm.
  4. Set aside 1/2 C of the tomato mix. Pour the rest into the pan and bring to a boil. Add the remaining 1/4 C sun-dried tomatoes to the pan along with the orzo and 6 tbsp cheese. Cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Divide among 4 plates.
  5. Slice the chicken. Top each portion of pasta with sliced chicken, 2 tbsp of the reserved tomato mix and a sprinkling of the remaining cheese and marjoram.

This post is submitted in:
What's on the Menu Wednesday
Whatcha Got Cooking Wednesday
Make It From Scratch
Recipe Share
Show Off Your Stuff
Presto Pasta Nights

13 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I know what you mean about trying to make something unique for the inlaws but not wanting to scare them, I've been in the same situation! Nice sauce! I remember having a recipe similar that called for marjoram and I didn't have any either so I just used Italian seasoning, it was the #1 ingredient in Italian seasoning so it worked.

Anonymous said...

This looks really yummy! Thank you so much for sharing this. I am really looking forward to trying it.

Joanne said...

Very classy dish! It sounds like your family was pleased, which is what really counts. I love the sun-dried tomato sauce! Such a rich, intense flavor.

Thanks so much for the award sweetie! YOU are a beautiful blogger :P

Unknown said...

I am anxious to give this a try when we get home from the beach. Thanks so much for stopping by Dining With Debbie. I hope you will visit often.

Alison said...

I haven't cooked with sun dried tomatoes in a long time. This reminds me to dig out one of our favorite chicken and sun dried tomato recipes...I want to try this one too. Looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

I made a similar salad with sundried tomatoes recently. Loved it. Orzo is in the pantry, so this one will be coming up soon.
Thanks for sharing.

Kathleen said...

This looks like a delicious dinner. I love lots of sauce so I'm with you I'd double it!

Sweet Kitchen said...

No surprise this was a bit hit - it looks awesome!

Ruth Daniels said...

Sounds heavenly - thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. And I'm glad the parents enjoyed
;-D

Heather S-G said...

Oh, this sounds awesome!! I love all the flavors in here =)

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Mmmm... you speak my language, girl!! :) I love all the ingredients you used. I'll definitely be trying this recipe soon. Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Sarah

Katie P said...

This looks delicious!

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! :)

Katie P
Food, Wine, & Mod Podge

Anonymous said...

Glad I noticed this on google .