Last year a bunch of us loaded up and got out of the desert to go apple picking. I was pretty excited since back in NY there are orchard everywhere and the price to pick your own is pretty good. However, that wasn't the case with the place we went to. Not only were their apples expensive but the made your own cider station was ridiculous. So needless to say I only got to make one thing with my picked apples and I chose apple butter. I found the recipe over at All Recipes. The recipe was super easy since everything is done for you in the crock-pot and the only thing you really need for this recipe is patience because it takes a long time to cook down. I used smaller jars for storage and gave some away as Christmas gifts.
*Depending on the sweetness of your apples you may want to alter the sugar amount.
- 5 1/5 lbs. apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 4 c. sugar or sweetener
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.
This post is submitted in
A Southern Fairytale
Let's Do Brunch