Mock Paneer Curry


I am still new to Indian cuisine but I love changing up our menu every once in a while. I found this recipe over at Living Free and decided to give it a try. I am always looking for new vegetarian dishes to try and this one was definitely not anything I have had before. It's a mock paneer because the cheese is substituted with tofu. There are also different variety of vegetables in this recipe that you wouldn't necessarily find in a traditional curry.

I will admit that the pictures didn't turn out all that great but that's what happens when you are impatient to start eating. This recipe makes a lot and so I had it for leftovers for about a week and every time I warmed it up it just kept getting better. My tofu fell apart but I guess that is what happens when you man handle it. HaHa


  • 1/2 c. white onion, sliced
  • 1/4 c. button mushroom, sliced
  • 1 c. broccoli florets
  • 1 c. green beans
  • 1 small roman tomato, finely chopped
  • 1 package extra firm tofu
  • 3 c. lite coconut milk
  • 1/4 c. finely ground brown rice flour
  • 1 TBSP. cumin powder
  • 2 tsp. coriander powder
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp. ginger
  • Salt to taste, if needed

  1. Start by cooking the 5 vegetables in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover it all. I recommend putting this on a back burner to cook while you work on the sauce.
  2. Next, drain the tofu and place on a cutting board. I started by cutting the tofu length ways, so that there were two large yet thin rectangular pieces. It doesn’t really matter how you cut them really, as long as the pieces are about 1/2″ by 1/2″. Once the tofu is sliced, set it aside.
  3. In a large saucepan, not yet on the stove or on heat, add 2 cups of coconut milk and the flour. Whisk together until there are no clunks of flour. Put the pan on to the stove on medium heat. Mix until the liquid starts to thicken, then add the 3rd cup of milk.
  4. Add the tofu chunks and continue mixing for about ten minutes. The continual mixing ensures that things won’t stick to the bottom of the pan, especially as the liquid continues to thicken. Then mix in the cooked veggies and cook for an additional five to ten minutes. Add the spices, mix well.This is when you should test the flavor and add anything additional you think it needs.
  5. Serve hot, although it’s good left over as well; unlike most Indian dishes where the ghee separates and it looses it’s texture – this keeps the same texture when re-heated!. This made enough to feed 6 to 8 people.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just started liking Indian food too the last few years - check out my chicken tikka masala - its so flavorful!

http://mybizzykitchen.com/2011/01/14/happy-friday-and-a-winner/

I love your dish - sans onions - can't do onions! :D

Claudia said...

Practice makes perfect and it is fun to mix it up and try new things! I love Indian food - all the divergent flavors - but have never done it with tofu - that may be a whole new ball game.

Kara said...

Mmmmm. I just want to come live with you and eat your food. They are always dishes I would love but husband wouldn't try. Although your pork chops have become a staple he actually asks for-- that is a big deal! Luckily he is about to leave so maybe I can give this one a shot on my own. :)